Saturday, July 19, 2008

Block Party

This is a short post, but I wanted to give anyone interested the link to the newspaper story about the block party our church throws each year. Leslie Draper came up with the idea and this is our third year putting it on. Pat is in charge of a 3-on-3 basketball tournament and I run the cake walk. The article isn't bad for our local paper...though...why the talk about mowing lawns? What does that have to do with...?

Schaivon and CC, who are quoted, are two of "our kids" from a previous post with Israel. We're proud of them. There are also pictures of the party if you follow the link on the right side of the article page under the main picture. Maybe I'll get a couple of my own on here in the next few days. We'll see.

What I love most about the article is finding out what our neighbors think about the party. For some reason, it's amazing to me that it seems to be serving its intended purpose: to bring out the assets of our community and bring people of all backgrounds together to have an evening of good, clean fun. It honestly made me tear up to see that people are proud of our community. I don't know the other people in the article, but they have noticed our church's work and that goes a long way for me.

go read the news article

No comments: